Highlights from Manchester United's 2-0 away victory over Otelul Galati in a UEFA Champions League Group C clash.
* Anders Lindegaard (goalkeeper): 3 saves, 0 goals conceded, 24/30 passing (80%)
* Nemanja Vidic (left-center-back): 57/61 passing (93%), 1 tackle, 4 interceptions, 4 clearances, 1 block, 1 foul, 2 aerial duels won, red-card
* Chris Smalling (right-center-back): 57/60 passing (95%), 0 tackles, 1 interception, 13 clearances, 1 block, 2 fouls, 7 aeriel duels won
* Patrice Evra (left-back): 62/70 passing (89%), 5 tackles, 1 interception, 4 clearances, 0 blocks, 1 foul, 1 aerial duel won
* Fabio (right-back): 43/53 passing (81%), 6 tackles, 4 interceptions, 5 clearances, 0 blocks, 1 foul, 0 aerial duels won
* Anderson (central-midfield): 79/89 passing (89%), 0 key passes, 3 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 block, 0 fouls, 1 foul won, 4 successful dribbles
* Michael Carrick (central-midfield): 89/97 passing (92%), 1 key pass, 1 tackle, 1 interception, 3 blocks, 1 foul, 2 fouls won, 1 successful dribble
* Nani (left-winger): 51/59 passing (86%), 2 key passes, 1 accurate cross, 4 successful dribbles, 3 fouls won, 2 tackles, 1 interception
*Antonio Valencia (right-winger): 46/66 passing (70%), 0 key passes, 2 accurate crosses, 0 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 2 tackles, 0 interceptions
* Wayne Rooney (striker): 68/92 passing (74%), 1 key pass, 5 shots (3 on goal), 0 successful dribbles, 3 fouls won, 2 goals (both from penalties)
* Javier Hernandez (striker): 29/33 passing (85%), 0 key passes, 0 shots, 0 successful dribbles, 4 fouls won
* Jonny Evans (left-center-back | substitute): 7/7 passing (100%), 0 tackles, 1 interception, 0 clearances, 0 blocks, 0 fouls, 0 aerial duels won
* Phil Jones (right-back | substitute): 14/18 passing (78%), 0 tackles, 1 interception, 0 clearances, 0 blocks, 0 fouls, 0 aerial duels won
The Busby Babe Otelul Galati United Shots (on target) Total Passes Passing Accuracy Ball Possession Tackles won Interceptions Fouls Corners Offsides
The Busby Babe
Shots (on target)
POST-MATCH QUOTES (courtesy of ManUtd.com)
Sir Alex Ferguson | MUFC manager
(On United's performance and the individual contributions from Nani, Anderson, and Rooney...) "You have to work hard to get the victory in away games as it is not easy," Sir Alex explained. "They (Galati) made it very difficult for us but we have possession figures to show we were in control of the game.In the second-half we improved a great deal. Nani’s performance was terrific, Rooney started to come into the game and Anderson was terrific too. I was satisfied with the result.It was a long night but we had to be patient to work through the game.We didn’t have enough penetration in the first-half as Rooney played more in midfield, but he moved further up the field in the second-half which created problems for them. He has great composure and he took his penalties well."
(On Vidic's sending-off...) "He (Vidic) has raised his foot and in the context of a lot referee’s interpretations - particularly in Europe - you can see why he has given the red card. But it was very harsh."
(On United's standing in Group C...) "We won and that is the important thing. We have to do our job at Old Trafford, hopefully we can win beat Galati again which brings us to eight points and I’ve always said that 10 points gets you through."
Michael Carrick | MUFC midfielder
(On United's performance and their picking up of 3 points...) "It was very bitty. It was good at times and not so good at others," Carrick reflected. "We expected a tough game though. People expected us to come here and score a lot of goals and for it to be an easy night but we knew it was going to be tough. We had to be patient and in the end we came through. We are delighted with the three points. It’s a much-needed win and it’s been a long time coming. We’re up and running now and hopefully we can keep the momentum up."
(On playing center-back after Vidic's sending-off...) "It was a dubious sending off at best, really, so we are disappointed with that. It was all hands to the pump for a few minutes and luckily I got a block in front of a guy who had a decent shot at goal. I thought I might have played at centre-half for a bit longer, but the boss changed it and after that we were pretty comfortable and managed to get the second goal."
(On United's difficult week and upcoming derby clash with Manchester City...) "It’s a massive game, obviously. It’s been a tough week but the first two games have gone okay and hopefully we can finish it off well."
Chris Smalling | MUFC defender (courtesy of MUTV)
(On playing at center-back...) "It was nice [to play at centre-back]. That is my favoured position so it is good to get as many games as I can there. But if I can contribute in whatever way, then I’ll give it my best."
(On Vidic's sending-off...) " saw the incident from behind. I didn’t expect the red card. Referees are sometimes more harsh in Europe but I’d have to take another look at it [on TV, to judge it properly]. I think for the first five minutes after we went down to ten men it was a bit frantic but then I think we started to settle down again and control the ball again. Luckily we saw the game out."
(On United's performance and on Galati...) "It was a difficult game. We thought they were going to be hard to break down and they were just that tonight. We knew we had to be patient. There weren’t too many chances in the first half but we kept pressing and it paid off. We started to penetrate more in the second half and luckily we got the two goals. It was great work from Wayne, in and around the box. He and Chicharito were causing problems and with Galati clocking up yellow cards, it was inevitable we would penetrate closer to the goal."