Manchester United have defeated Olympique de Marseille 2-1 at Old Trafford and the Reds are through to their 5th consecutive UEFA Champions League quarter-final. I'm off to support my local club tonight, Seattle Sounders FC, so I won't be able to get up a tactical review until sometime tomorrow. Feel free to discuss the match here. Here a few quick thoughts from me:
* Wayne Rooney was superb. His range of passing and vision were out of this world tonight. My man of the match
* I like the '4-2-3-1' with Rooney as essentially the playmaker in a central attacking midfielder role.... or withdrawn. This may become our go-to shape in big matches for the remainder of the season.
* Chicharito's movement was excellent. Clinical finishing once again.
* Scholes controlled this match early in the midfield and United were very fluid throughout the evening.
* The international break can't come soon enough. All three substitutions tonight were forced due to injury and fitness. Sir Alex Ferguson didn't even have the luxury of making a tactical sub. Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Rafael, John O'Shea all injured now.
* This game was frenetic and full of opportunity. This easily could have been a 3-3 or 4-4 scoreline.
* Lets cross our fingers that we avoid FC Barcelona. I believe the draw is on Friday for the quarter-final and semi-final