Manchester United took their fearsome attack away to the Reebok Stadium and the result was a 5-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers. Wayne Rooney provided his 2nd straight hat-trick and now has an outstanding eight goals in only four Premier League matches. Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez made his first start of the season and bagged a brace as well. Here are statistics from the match and post-match quotes from manager Sir Alex Ferguson and the United players.
TEAM STATISTICS (via Opta)
The Busby Babe Bolton Manchester United Shots (on target) 22 (6) Total Passes Passing Accuracy Ball Possession Tackles won Interceptions 21 14 Fouls Corners Offsides
The Busby Babe
Shots (on target)
MANCHESTER UNITED PLAYER STATISTICS (from Guardian chalkboards powered by Opta):
* David De Gea (goalkeeper): 5 saves, 0 goals conceded, 44/57 passing (77%)
* Jonny Evans (left-center-back): 25/26 passing (96%), 1 tackle, 1 interception, 7 clearances, 4 blocks, 5/7 aerial duels (71%), 0 fouls
* Rio Ferdinand (right-center-back): 54/56 passing (96%), 5 tackles, 4 interceptions, 6 clearances, 1 block, 7/10 aerial duels (70%), 0 fouls
* Patrice Evra (left-back): 41/46 passing (89%), 2 tackles, 1 interception, 6 clearances, 1 block, 1/3 aerial duels (33%), 1 foul
* Phil Jones (right-back): 50/63 passing (79%), 7 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 clearances, 0 blocks, 3/5 aerial duels (60%), 0 fouls, 1 assist
* Anderson (central-midfield): 66/81 passing (81%), 2 tackles, 1 interception, 2 key passes, 0 successful dribbles
* Tom Cleverley (central-midfield): 1/1 passing (100%), 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 key passes, 0 successful dribbles
* Ashley Young (left winger): 18/28 passing (68%), 1 tackle, 0 interceptions, 1 key pass, 0 successful dribbles, 2 fouls won
* Nani (right-winger): 45/57 passing (79%), 5 tackles, 0 interceptions, 3 key passes, 3 successful dribbles, 1 foul won
* Wayne Rooney (striker): 39/53 passing (74%), 3 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 key passes, 0 successful dribbles, 1 foul won, 3 goals
* Chicharito: (striker): 30/37 passing (81%), 3 tackles, 1 interception, 1 key pass, 0 successful dribbles, 1 foul won, 2 goals
* Michael Carrick (substitute | central-midfield): 46/51 passing (90%), 3 tackles, 1 interception, 0 key passes, 0 successful dribbles
* Ryan Giggs (substitute | left winger): 20/24 passing (83%), 1 tackle, 1 interception, 1 key pass, 0 successful dribbles
* Chris Smalling (substitute | left-center-back): 20/20 passing (100%), 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 3 clearances, 0 blocks, 3/4 aerial duels (75%), 0 fouls
Sir Alex Ferguson - MUFC Manager (courtesy of MUTV)
(On the youngsters playing so much so far this season... ) "When I saw the programme to begin with I thought it would be tough but the boys are coping with it very well. There are a lot of big games coming up. We've got Chelsea next Sunday and we've got to go to Lisbon on Wednesday which is an important game. Benfica have always been tremendous opponents of ours and it'll be another hard game."
(On Chicharito's two-goal performance...) "If you look at his first goal, his movement and speed to get across in front of the defender was absolutely first class. Over the years you've always said that [players can struggle] if they have a good first year and they're young, but I expected what I saw today."
(On Rooney's growing maturity...) "t's down to maturity. He's in his mid-20s and I always think when players get to this age they get more authority in their game, their timing is better and their control of games is better. His presence is getting bigger in every game. He's looking fantastic."
Wayne Rooney - MUFC Striker (courtesy of ESPN)
(On playing at the Reebok Stadium...) "We always know Bolton's a difficult place to come, but we got an early goal and kicked on from there. Thankfully the win was a bit easier than we thought, but we still had to work hard for it."
(On his partnership with Chicharito...) "We controlled the game and I think it could have been a lot more, but obviously I'm delighted to score a hat-trick again. First start with Chicha and we both scored, so it's great."
(On his off-season and tremendous early season form...) "I had a long time to rest. I wanted a good pre-season under my belt and thankfully I've done that, steered clear of injuries and it's helped me for the start of the season."
Chicharito - MUTV Striker (courtesy of MUTV)
(On his performance versus Bolton...) "Scoring goals gives you confidence. But like I say, the most important thing for me was to play 90 minutes and to win. For almost two months I was out, so my goal is to keep working for the team and to help the team get the win."
(On playing versus Bolton...) "It was not easy. It was a very difficult game. Everybody knows about the Reebok stadium and the Bolton team, and it is very difficult. Thankfully we played very well. We managed to score a lot of goals and we created a lot of chances.We scored a goal really early and that helped us to manage the game in a different way. When you score the other team needs to get one back and you can start to take control."
Owen Coyle - Bolton manager
(On United's performance...) "United were ruthless and clinical. They certainly took their chances well, but as good as they were we shot ourselves in the foot. We can't allow easy crosses to come into our box like that, and Jones was allowed to run through far too easily."