Stay up to date with the rumours throughout the Premier League and the world here.
* Editor's note: We do have a January transfer window storystream that contains individual reports of transfers, loans, or rumours that we feel are worth reporting on. Feel free, though, to continue to use this thread for general discussion for transfer targets or you can continue the conservation here for individual deals.
Sir Alex Ferguson's side enters the January transfer window with very little to address due to the return or imminent return of many key players.
Much has been discussed about the issues throughout the current campaign throughout the back four. As of the writing of this article, there are no injuries to any of the defenders and the need for an emergency Michael Carrick start at center back is thankfully dwindling. There doesn't appear to be a need for any immediate purchases but if a young prospect is available, Sir Alex has shown a desire to bring them in sooner rather than later.
In midfield the story is quite a bit different, however. Michael Carrick has played extensively in a holding role so far this term and has been in good form thus far. His partner in midfield, on the other hand, has been a constant rotation due to either poor form or injury. The desire to acquire a more combative force in the center of the pitch has consistently resonated from the fans but Sir Alex has been hesitant to bring one in and it may not be needed at this point. The big question mark during the summer market was the impact that Darren Fletcher would have on the squad and if he could return to the hard working style that he had prior to his bout with intestinal problems forced him off the pitch for a year. He appears to be coming along and if he ever achieves a return of form to anything approaching that of 2010, that need is tempered for at least the next couple years.
There may be some turnover in the wide players utilized at Old Trafford this window, however. As of now, expect the trio of Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia, and Nani to remain with the club and rotate as needed to ensure fitness. The rumours of a fallout between Nani and Ferguson have been rampant in the media for the past 2 months and combined with the transfer to Zenit St Petersburg that almost was for Nani, an exit from this Manchester United squad may actually be in the cards for the Portuguese winger. If this takes place, cover is available in the short-term in the form of Danny Welbeck but an out and out winger needs to be purchased to avoid an Andy Carroll-to-West-Ham-on-deadline-day-with-no-replacement-brought-in fiasco from happening here. Based on comments from the gaffer, Nani's departure is more likely this summer when there is additional time to find that replacement. If the price is right, however, expect him to be out the door.
Up top and at goalkeeper this United squad has exceptional depth and no new additions are expected...so enough with the Robert Lewandowski gossip.
Comment away on anything you may have heard out there in the interwebs below.
* Central Midfielder(s)
* Any Young Prospects
* Wilfried Zaha - Winger - Crystal Palace (£10m fee + £5 possible in add-ons | July 2013)
* Robert Lewandowski- ST- Borussia Dortmund
* James Rodriguez- Winger- Porto
* Vegard Forren - CB - Molde
* Victor Wanyama - CM - Celtic
* Kurt Zouma - CB - St Etienne
* Asmir Begovic - GK - Stoke City
* Frank Lampard - CM - Chelsea
* Angelo Henriquez- ST- Wigan(loan)
* Josh King- ST- Blackburn Rovers
* Bebe- Winger- Rio Ave (loan)
* Michael Keane - CB - Leicester City (loan)
* Robbie Brady- LW- Hull
* Davide Petrucci- CM- Peterborough (loan)
* Scott Wootton- CB- Peterborough (loan)
* Federico Macheda - ST - VfB Stuttgart (loan)
Possible transfers out:
* Nani- Winger
* Ryan Tunnicliffe- CM
* Sam Johnstone- GK
* Nick Powell - CAM
* Danny Welbeck - ST
Let me know if there are any errors, additions, or subtractions that I need to make.