Manchester United has been blessed to have Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. Back when you couldn't win with kids, they were proving everyone wrong and they never took off the shirt (except for the Ginger Prince, for a small vacation). I think we all love them and put them on the same pedestal as the other legends to play at United.
Lately, we've been cursed with useless wingers.
It's obvious that Nani will be sold this summer and we'll likely get a good penny for him. There's really no point in talking about him anymore. He isn't even considered for the biggest games of the season, omitted for an astonishingly poor Ashley Young.
More surprising is the poor play of Antonio Valencia.
For a time in 2012 Valencia carried the us and kept the title race alive. He was brilliant, and scary for any right-back unfortunate enough to be in front of him. At that point he won the prestigious number 7 shirt. This season he's been awful, although likely better than Young and Nani.
This season our best winger has arguably been Danny Welbeck, who is playing out of position. Also, Rafael has been great on the right wing also. Again, out of position, after moving forward from his RB postion.
It makes me question what direction United will go in the future. Here are some things that I believe will happen before next season:
- Wayne Rooney is no longer a forward. His work-ethic forces him back far too much. This is actually to United's advantage. Rooney can still strike a ball with the best of them, but his touch and passing improves every game. Maybe not as influential as Lionel Messi, but he's intelligent and hard working. Perfect for the center of the field.
- Chicharito and Danny Welbeck will demand more playing time; but both deserve it. With Rooney moving into the midfield, both will get more playing time next to Robin van Persie.
- Nani will be sold and United will look for another left winger who can fill Cristiano Ronaldo's shoes.
- Phil Jones will move into the midfield. He already moves forward so much, it's pretty inevitable. He's already creating his own legend. But with Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling up and coming we'll look to get all we can from Jones.
- Giggs and Scholes will retire.
- There will be more ridiculous rumours that Wayne Rooney will leave Manchester United. And he won't.
So what do you think? What does our future look like?