The move has been looking very likely since the past couple of days when things moved on very quickly, and it looks like United are about to secure their second major signing of the window, with the club set to break their record transfer fee. Mata is now, in a touching tribute to Ryan Babel, reportedly en route via helicopter.
There's still been some strange stuff on whether or not Chelsea have actually accepted the bid, which has been put through intermediaries for some reason rather than the usual route. One bizarre rumour had this third party as being our dear old friend Mr Kia Joorabchian, although he has told the Independent that, while he was involved, he was not the third wheel.
It's a bit confusing, but we'd expect this to be done today and we'd be stunned if he wasn't a United player by the weekend. If you haven't started looking at Youtube compilations and begun dreaming of a Van Persie-Januzaj-Mata front three, you now have full clearance to do so.
Between 2005 and 2009, there was an annual average of 1.44 fatalities per 100,000 flying hours in non-military helicopters.
- Manchester United 2-1 Sunderland: World's worst penalty shootout sees United out
- Chelsea accept Manchester United bid for Juan Mata, medical tomorrow - report
- Wilfried Zaha reportedly still awaiting medical ahead of loan to Cardiff City
- Report: United make official Mata bid
- Real Madrid prepare swoop for Wayne Rooney - report