Manchester United are set to miss out on the signing of Porto's Fernando as the player has decided to join Manchester City, according to Goncalo Lopes, a Portuguese journalist.
According to Lopes, the player and City have agreed a deal, but Porto have not yet. Since his contract expires at the end of the season, he would be able to talk to clubs now and could move for nothing at the end of the season regardless of Porto's intent.
Lopes states, however, that Porto are enraged with both the player and City and therefore could make him wait until the end of the season to move. City had apparently decided to move now in order to get the deal done quickly.
You can browse the tweets for yourself here.
Notwithstanding the rather worrying opinion that 'he [could play] for every team in the world', there are other fish in the sea for United to get, just maybe not in January. And that might be a worry for those who fear Juan Mata is not going to be enough to propel Manchester United into the top four.
- Manchester United vs. Cardiff City: van Persie and Young on scoresheet in 2-0 win
- Tottenham Hotspur reportedly one of three clubs in for Manchester United striker
- Manchester United star could be set to leave imminently - report
- Bayern Munich midfielder reportedly wants Manchester United move
- Pep Guardiola suggests Manchester United target could leave Bayern