The Busby Babe United Shots (on target) Total Passes Passing Accuracy Ball Possession Tackles won Interceptions Fouls Corners Offsides
The Busby Babe
Shots (on target)
* Anders Lindegaard (goalkeeper): 14/32 passing (44%), 0 goals conceded, 2 saves
* Nemanja Vidic (right-center-back): 34/46 passing (74%), 6/11 long balls, 0 tackles, 7 interceptions, 19 clearances, 0 shots blocked, 1 foul, 13/22 aerial duels (59%)
* Rio Ferdinand (left-center-back): 27/32 passing (84%), 4/4 long balls, 0 tackles, 1 interception, 7 clearances, 0 shots blocked, 0 fouls, 3/5 aerial duels (60%)
* Chris Smalling (right-back): 28/40 passing (70%), 0/2 crosses, 1 tackle, 2 interceptions, 7 clearances, 1 shot blocked, 3 fouls, 6/9 aerial duels (67%)
* Patrice Evra (left-back): 47/57 passing (82%), 0/1 crosses, 2 tackles, 0 interceptions, 5 clearances, 0 shots blocked, 2 fouls, 2/7 aerial duels (29%)
* Michael Carrick (central-midfield): 54/61 passing (89%), 2 key passes, 5/6 long balls, 0/0 through balls,0 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 2 tackles, 7 interceptions, 1 foul, 0 shots
* Phil Jones (central-midfield): 41/54 passing (76%), 1 key pass, 6/9 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 0 successful dribbles, 1 foul won, 2 tackles, 5 interceptions, 1 foul, 2 shots (1 on target), 1 goal
* Nani (right winger/central-attacking midfielder): 37/46 passing (74%), 3 key passes, 1/4 crosses, 0/0 through balls, 1 successful dribble, 0 fouls won, 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 5 shots (2 on target), 1 assist
* Ashley Young (left winger): 34/42 passing (81%), 0 key passes, 2/6 crosses, 1 successful dribble, 1 foul won, 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 2 shots (1 on target)
* Wayne Rooney (striker): 43/54 passing (80%), 1 key pass, 2/3 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 2 successful dribbles, 2 shots (0 on target)
* Javier Hernandez (striker): 0/1 passing (0%), 0 key passes, 0 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 0 shots
* Antonio Valencia (right winger | substitute 12'): 23/33 passing (70%), 2 key passes, 0/6 crosses, 1 successful dribble, 0 fouls won, 1 tackle, 0 interceptions, 1 shot
* Ryan Giggs (central-attacking-midfielder | substitute 64'): 21/28 passing (75%), 1 key pass, 0/2 crosses, 3/4 long balls, 0 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 0 shots
* Danny Welbeck (striker | substitute 79'): 10/12 passing (83%), 0 key passes, 2 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 1 shot
Sir Alex Ferguson | MUFC manager (courtesy of MUTV)
(Overall thoughts on United's performance...) " thought we deserved the victory. We had great possession at times and I think we were a bit wasteful with chances we had in the second half. But a win away from home at Villa Park - which is always a difficult place to come – is a good result so we are happy. I think we should be finishing games off and I’d like to do that, but the one good thing is our concentration levels away from home. In fairness to us, I thought we controlled the game. Some of our football was good, there were some good performances from the lads and there was a good rhythm in our game. It’s a good passing pitch and I always enjoy coming here."
(On his side's recent away performances...) "We have certainly showed good concentration in the last few away games, particularly defensively. Yes, we could do better in the finishing department but I think consistency will help us in terms of confidence."
(On Chicharito's injury...) "I think it is torn ligaments in the ankle and he’ll be out for four weeks."
(On the overall injury situation at United...) "We are having a bad time with injuries at the moment but that is why we have a strong squad. Danny Welbeck is fit again and fortunately he got 15 minutes (against Villa) which is good, so he is an option for Wednesday. He has not had a lot of football recently which is something I have to consider. But Nani did alright through the middle and Valencia did very well for us when he came on, he was excellent. So I have some options up-front. We may have Berbatov fit for Wednesday also, but we are getting our fair share of injuries at the moment."
(On Phil Jones' goal and his celebration...) "We'd kept winding him up and saying: 'We paid £16million for you and we can't even get a shot off you!' The staff have been giving him stick so he was very, very pleased."
Phil Jones | MUFC defender/midfielder
(On his first United goal and the goal celebration...) "I'm delighted to score but it wasn't about the goal. It was about three points and I thought the lads did exceptionally well. We knew it was going to be a hard-fought game as Villa are a tough team to beat at home but we played terrifically well. After last week, when I stuck one in the back of my own net, I was delighted to score and get off the mark. I signalled to Rene as he was giving me a bit of stick for not scoring. It's just a coincidence that I scored today so I gave him a point of the finger!"
(Overall thoughts on United's performance...) "We probably should have killed the game off. We had chances in the first half and second half but we're happy with the clean sheet and the performance. I suppose it is in the back of your mind [that City had already won and extended the lead at the top to eight points]. But we're focused on what we've got to do and, when we cross that white line, we're only in control of what we can control. The gaffer said we'll take ten 1-0 wins if we win the league so that's what we're doing."
Anders Lindegaard | MUFC goalkeeper
(On earning his 4th clean sheet in 5 starts this season...) "Clean sheets are like goals for goalkeepers. In 10 games, nobody will remember how many fantastic saves were made - they will remember how many clean sheets were kept. For my sake, I would rather win 1-0 than 10-1 because I am a goalkeeper and I want a clean sheet. It was a very important win. We were under a lot of pressure because of the other results so I think we did very well and played brilliantly in defence. It was top class and very enjoyable. It's not easy - if it looks easy, then it's a big compliment to the goalkeeper. One of the biggest compliments you can get as a keeper is if you make difficult things look easy. You have to be 100 per cent focused all the way. I think, personally, one of my best attributes is my ability to focus and stay focused. I don't find it very difficult."
(On his relationship with current No.1 David De Gea... ) "It's very good. It keeps us both sharp. I enjoy working with him very much. He is a great lad and always comes in with a smile and a good attitude. It's very enjoyable and it makes us both better."
(On the partnership of Vidic and Ferdinand in central defense...) "They are two absolute world-class players and I think what you saw today was some of the best defensive work you can see on this planet from some of the best defensive players on this planet as well. It's very enjoyable to play behind them because they make it look easy."