In the coming week or so here at The Busby Babe, we will be presenting you the opportunity to pick our season ending awards for Manchester United's 2010-11 season - one that saw the club win it's record 19th English title and also reach the final of the UEFA Champions League. All that you need to do is simply vote in the poll to have your say but you're also free as always to expand on your pick in the comments section below. Here are the categories that we will be voting on:
* Player of the season
* Defender of the season (today's topic)
* Central Midfielder of the season
* Winger of the season
* Striker of the season
* Young Player of the season
* Match of the season
* Goal of the season
* Favorite moment of the season
Here are some of the obvious candidates (goalkeepers are eligible):
* Edwin van der Sar: The 40-year-old Dutchman appeared in 47 matches in all competitions while conceding 40 goals (0.85/match) and keeping 22 clean sheets.
* Nemanja Vidic: Along with van der Sar, the United captain tied for the most appearances at the club this season with 47. Vidic was a rock in central-defense and he even contributed with 5 goals this season - mainly on set-pieces
* Patrice Evra: Another fixture in the starting lineup with his 46 appearances. The Frenchman also provided support into the attack with marauding runs forward throughout the season from his position at left-back.
* Gary Neville: Just kidding. It was sad to see the legend lose his legs and be forced into retirement but that was one hell of a testimonial with the return of David Beckham, Nicky Butt, and Phil Neville to Old Trafford.
Here are the "defender of the year" picks from those us here at TBB:
* CPC - Edwin van der Sar
* Gene - Nemanja Vidic
* nolefansam- Nemanja Vidic
Polls will close after a few days so be sure to get your votes in and check in with us on a daily basis!