Back in 1999, during Manchester United's famous UEFA Champions League final versus Bayern Munich, English TV commentator Clive Tyldesley asked out loud during stoppage time when the Reds were down 1-0, "Can Manchester United score?.... They always score." Moments later, Tyldesley screamed "Sheringham!" as the striker equalised. Then, after two more minutes of stoppage time, Tyldesley made another famous call, "and Solksjaer has won it! (pause) Manchester United have reached the promised land!" 12 years year, this dramatic and fighting spirit still personifies the club - this was clearly evident in the grit and determination that United showed this season in capturing title number 19.
* Everton FC 3-3 Manchester United: United appeared to be on the verge of 3 points after Dimitar Berbatov put his side up 1-3 at Goodison Park in the 66th minute. However, Everton dramatically scored twice in stoppage time to earn a shocking draw. This certainly is not a fond memory for United supporters, but to the neutral and obviously to Everton's supporters, this was a cracking match.
* Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool FC: This was another September match where it appeared likely that Berbatov had earned his side 3 points after the Bulgarian striker put his side up 2-0 in the 59th minute with a superb overhead kick. However, Steven Gerrard quickly leveled for Liverpool by pulling two goals back and it was game-on. This only set the stage for Berba's dramatic winner in the 84th minute - one that completed his hat-trick and dramatically denied United's rival. Manager Sir Alex Ferguson labeled his striker a "genius" after the match.
* Aston Villa 2-2 Manchester United: Things looked dire for the visitors when Marc Albrighton deservedly put Villa up 2-0 in the 76th minute. Just a few minutes prior, Fergie had brought on youngsters Federico Macheda and Gabriel Obertan for the ineffective duo of Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez and Berbatov. Macheda soon made good on his opportunity by once again terrorizing Villa - the Italian thumped a shot from distance to pull a goal back for United. Then just a few minutes later, captain Nemanja Vidic headed in the equaliser and United had stolen a point from Villa Park.
* Blackpool 2-3 Manchester United: Drama and underwhelming performances away from Old Trafford were becoming the norm by this point in the season. Once again, United found themselves down 2-0, this time at Bloomfield Road - Blackpool's tangerine dream was on and United's unbeaten record at this point in the winter looked vulnerable. Once again, Berbatov and Chicharito came up with heroics - the former scored twice and the latter once as United had scored 3 late goals in a 16-minute span to snatch 3 points.
* Manchester United 2-1 Manchester City: Prior to the match, this derby was billed as a possible title-decider - it was certainly labeled as City's challenge to United's dominance in Manchester. After a fairly dull match in November, and after not finding much inspiration in this match, it was Wayne Rooney's moment of brilliance that provided a signature moment - his overhead kick in the 78th minute proved to be the winner and quite possibly the signature moment of the season.
* West Ham United 2-4 Manchester United: Another match away from Old Trafford. Another two goal deficit. Another dramatic comeback. Rooney's 3 goals in a 14 minutes span provided the genius for United's comeback at Upton Park. "What?! ******* what?!"
* Manchester United 3-1 Chelsea FC (CL aggregate): Because the knock-out stages of the Champions League are essentially an extended match over two legs, I'm going to lump the entire quarterfinal into one match. During the first leg at Stamford Bridge, United left there with a lead for the first time since 2002 - In the 24th minute, Michael Carrick played a diagonal ball with exceptional precision down the left for Ryan Giggs who then used a sublime first touch to setup a cut-back for Rooney's clinical finish. During the return leg at Old Trafford, it was goals by Chicharito and Park Ji-sung that sealed a semi-final appearance for United.
* Manchester United 2-1 Chelsea FC: Late in the season, Chelsea had surged back into the title race and with a victory at Old Trafford, the Londoners could have moved top of the table. However, just 36 seconds into the match, Park split the defense with a piercing through-ball for Chicharito and the young Mexican striker put his side up early. Later in the opening half, Vidic headed home a second goal and the title was essentially won. In the most important league match of the season, United put on a legendary display to put themselves on the brink of a record 19th title.
Here's what the writers here at TBB voted for:
* CPC - United 3-2 Liverpool
* Gene - United 3-2 Liverpool
* nolefansam - West Ham 2-4 United