After an impressive pre-season by Tom Cleverley, especially during Manchester United's clashes with FC Barcelona and Manchester City, the latter match being yesterday's FA Community Shield at Wembley Stadium, England boss Fabio Capello has given the youngster his first call-up for the national team's senior side. This is following the news of teammate Michael Carrick and Arsenal's Jack Wilshere being withdrawn from the squad ahead of their friendly with Holland on Wednesday- the former injured his Achilles further during Sunday's Community Shield while the latter has a minor ankle knock. The 21-year-old Cleverley has spent the past fews season further developing while on loan, including last season's spell for Wigan Athletic when he made 25 Premier League appearances. The midfielder is hoping to establish himself this season at Old Trafford by becoming a regular selection.
After the jump, is a listing of the other United players that have been called into action for their national team sides this week...
* England (vs Holland): Cleverley, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Young, Danny Welbeck
* Northern Ireland (vs Faroe Islands) -- European Championship qualifier: Jonny Evans
* France (vs Chile): Patrice Evra
* Ireland (vs Croatia): Darron Gibson (yes, he's still technically on United's squad for now)
* Denmark ( at Scotland): Anders Lindegaard
* Portugal (vs Luxembourg): Nani
* Serbia (at Russia): Nemanja Vidic
* Senegal (vs Morocco): Mame Biram Diouf
A few other things worth noting: Federico Macheda is on duty for Italy's U-21 side and Welbeck may miss England's match due to an ankle knock suffered at Wembley yesterday. All international matches will be on 10 August.