Manchester United were in involved in 5 matches across 3 competitions in March and as a whole, the results were somewhat satisfactory. The Reds began the month with a 12-point lead in the Premier League and at the time of this being published, they currently enjoy an 18-point lead -- with a game in hand as Manchester City currently are clashing with Newcastle United -- and at a minimum, they will have a 15-point lead with only 8 league fixtures remaining headed into next week's derby. In cup competitions, though, the results were disappointing.
United were brilliant in the second-leg against Real Madrid in the Champions League prior to Nani unfairly being sent-off. Soon after that terrible decision by referee Cuneyt Cakir, the Spanish giants scored two goals and eventually eliminated the Reds from European competition. Just 4 days after that disappointment, a physically and mentally exhausted side surrendered a two-goal lead against Chelsea in a FA Cup quarter-final and if we're being honest, United were somewhat fortunate to earn a replay at Stamford Bridge (thanks David de Gea for that incredible save at the death). The hopes of a domestic double, though, are alive and if the club prevail against the Blues on Monday, a semi-final tie with City at Wembley awaits.
Just in case you need a reminder, here's a listing of the games that United were involved in during March and also the players this community voted as the man of the match for those contests. Past winner from this community's voting include Robin van Persie (August, September, December, and January), Wayne Rooney (October), Javier Hernandez (November), and David de Gea (February). Might we have a new winner for March?
* March 2 | Manchester United 4-0 Norwich City | Premier League | MOTM - Shinji Kagawa
* March 5 | Manchester United 1-2 Real Madrid | UEFA Champions League | MOTM - Ryan Giggs
* March 10 | Manchester United 2-2 Chelsea | FA Cup | MOTM- David de Gea
* March 16 | Manchester United 1-0 Reading | Premier League | MOTM - Rio Ferdinand
* March 30 | Sunderland 0-1 Manchester United | Premier League | MOTM - Alexander Buttner (voting has only been going on for about 30 minutes at the time of this being published)