Manchester United's main transfer target could be Ilkay Gundogan, if various reports are to be believed.
The German midfielder has been touted on here as a potential target before with reports having picked up on the link in the past, but most of the concrete reports seem to indicate United will make a serious attempt to sign him this window. The Mirror lead with the story tonight, and Red Issue, who are very well-sourced with regards to United, mentioned having reported on the story on their Twitter feed earlier.
Gundogan's contract expires at the end of next season and his value is rapidly running down, with Borussia Dortmund struggling to agree terms on a new deal. That means they could be forced to cash in now rather than lose him on a free.
Gundogan is certainly the perfect player for United. He brings pace, energy, drive, technique and creativity to midfield. But there is one problem, namely that he hasn't played for some time given a three-month injury and the Bundesliga winter break. Which is a bit of a problem when he'll be expected to return and fix everything immediately.
In addition, this might be another tricky one. Dortmund have shown with the Robert Lewandowski deal that they can be prepared to do something drastic rather than lose players early. But for all that, this would still be a brilliant signing for the club, and hopefully one we can wrap up.
- Mourinho wants Rooney - and Manchester United star is likely to leave
- Manchester United seal deal for Benfica star, according to Portuguese source
- Manchester United's Chris Smalling further targeted by press for fancy dress antics
- David Moyes is losing the dressing-room, says a new report
- Manchester United make official bid for midfield star, say British press