Manchester United will make a surprise transfer bid for Ever Banega as the Argentine wants to leave Valencia immediately, according to the Daily Mirror.
David Moyes has been a long-term admirer of the midfielder, and his great range of passing could be exactly what United's midfield need. The paper report, however, two snags.
The first is that Javier Hernandez might be wanted by Valencia and demanded as an inclusion to the deal. And the second is that Arsenal, Tottenham, and other clubs around Europe could provide competition.
Despite that, this is probably one of the more realistic deals we've seen proposed, particularly in January. Banega would slot right into United's midfield and would be pretty much guaranteed of playing time, which he wouldn't be almost anywhere else that have been touted to take him. It would be a significant upgrade on our squad and well worth the money, even if it might be a gamble to sell Javier Hernandez at this point with Danny Welbeck our only fit striker.
Nonetheless, this is good news. We may sign someone after all. On a side note though, some trivia: any idea what Ashley Young and Ever Banega have in common? Answers in the comments (but keep it clean-ish.)
- £24m "Complete midfielder" could be United's #1 target as bid reports mount
- Solskjaer set to complete deal to sign Manchester United star
- David Moyes charged with misconduct after referee comments
- Rooney absent for Manchester United's Swansea game, could miss Chelsea
- Mourinho wants Rooney - and Manchester United star is likely to leave