Well, well. Manchester United's January has well and truly begun. The latest report suggests that Real Madrid are preparing a £25 million swoop for Wayne Rooney, and comes from The Telegraph and Mark Ogden -- who's usually good when it comes to United.
Ogden claims that Rooney is more of a contingency plan for Real in the event that the fail to sign Manchester City star Sergio Agüero. It'd undoubtedly take a lot more for City to part with the jewel of their team than it would for United to sell Rooney, meaning that a move could be pretty likely.
Of course, a lot of this hangs on the arrival of Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata at Old Trafford, though without tempting fate, his signing looks ever more probable. As mentioned in a post earlier today, Mata's strongest position is playing as a central playmaker, and it makes sense that he's a like-for-like replacement for Rooney.
But, with Chelsea also said to be interested in Rooney, this is one to watch.
- Juan Mata could be a Manchester United player by the weekend - report
- Manchester United in 'encouraging' negotiations for Juventus midfielder - report
- Nemanja Vidić has red card appeal rejected
- Star defender: Manchester United transfer "will be sorted at the end of the month"
- Making sense of the Juan Mata rumour