Manchester United could buy Yohan Cabaye in January to bolster their midfield, according to the Sunday Mirror.
The Newcastle midfielder has been impressive ever since joining the Premier League, but has been in particularly good form this season.
While Cabaye is obviously an excellent player, his best role has almost come behind the strikers in a number 10 position. He's very unlikely to get games for United there, but fortunately as well as his goals from midfield he also brings a fine passing ability as well as general energy and combativeness. He's not exactly Roy Keane, but there's no doubt he could line up as the furthest forward of the midfield two.
That versatility also means that, should we be minded to buy bigger names in midfield - we've been seriously linked to Arturo Vidal and Ilkay Gundogan - then Cabaye could complement them in a variety of different ways, so it wouldn't just be a short-term acquisition.
David de Gea; Rafael, Nemanja Vidic, Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra; Juan Mata, Darren Fletcher, Yohan Cabaye, Adnan Januzaj; Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie. Now that looks a lot better.
- Mata "De Gea was texting me", Moyes hints at Tuesday debut - quotes from Mata's first interview
- Officially Official: Manchester United complete Juan Mata deal
- Juan Mata confirms his Manchester United signing on Twitter
- Wayne Rooney contract rumours continue, say fresh reports
- Juan Mata, a helicopter and a sexy suit