Guillermo Varela will go down in history as David Moyes' first ever signing at Manchester United, though if reports from Italian self-styled transfer expert Alfredo Pedullà are anything to go by, that'll be all.
Alas he doesn't seem to have impressed Moyes sufficiently, though a couple of sides in Italy are reportedly looking to prise the Uruguayan U20 away from Old Trafford. Torino's offer to sign him on loan with an option to purchase was reportedly rebuffed -- and with them losing their first-choice right-back Danilo D'Ambrosio, there's probably more than a kernel of truth in this story. Torino are still said to be interested, while Hellas Verona are also keen.
The 20-year-old Uruguayan hasn't had a sniff of the United first team since arriving from Peñarol back in the summer, and he's at the age now where you'd be hoping he'd be starting to stake his claim -- even if that would almost certainly only be as a backup to Rafael.
It'd certainly be a shame to see a hopeful young prospect depart, though given that United signed him when he'd only made a single professional appearance in Uruguay, they were always taking a gamble.
- Mata "De Gea was texting me", Moyes hints at Tuesday debut - quotes from Mata's first interview
- Officially Official: Manchester United complete Juan Mata deal
- Juan Mata confirms his Manchester United signing on Twitter
- Wayne Rooney contract rumours continue, say fresh reports
- Juan Mata, a helicopter and a sexy suit