clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Manchester United 1-1 West Ham United: Anthony Martial forces a replay

A late Anthony Martial equaliser forced an FA Cup quarterfinal replay against West Ham.

Michael Regan/Getty Images

Manchester United scored a late equaliser at home to West Ham on Sunday to force an FA Cup quarterfinal replay. Anthony Martial was again the hero, netting United's only goal and cancelling out Dimitri Payet's spectacular opener inside the final 10 minutes.

The game got off to a surprisingly watchable start, with both sides playing at a pleasingly high tempo. But not surprisingly, it was West Ham who were more penetrative in attack, and they should've taken the lead after six minutes: fortunately for United, Emmanuel Emenike scuffed wide of the far post after running onto a fine Andy Carroll chip.

The Hammers went close again just inside 20 minutes, when Aaron Cresswell picked out Emenike with a fine cross from the left. The Nigerian was left totally free in the area, though his header was tame and comfortably held by David de Gea.

United's best chance of the half didn't come until just short of the half-hour mark. A surging run by Marcos Rojo, comprising a smart one-two with Anthony Martial, culminated in a low cross for Ander Herrera; unfortunately, the Basque midfielder lashed his snapshot over from the edge of the penalty area.

United made a bright start to the second period, and enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure for the first time in the match. Herrera had a big penalty appeal turned down after Winston Reid blocked the ball with his arm (though replays suggested referee Martin Atkinson had made the correct decision), before Marcus Rashford was denied after a sharp turn in the West Ham box.

Atkinson made another contentious decision a few minutes later, this time at the other end of the field. Rojo appeared to trip Dimitri Payet in the United area after a clumsy slide tackle; fortunately for the Argentine defender, the referee again waved play on.

However, Payet had his revenge with just over 20 minutes left, when he curled a spectacular free-kick over the United wall and beyond de Gea to open the scoring. As if that didn't sting enough, the Frenchman could easily have been sent off after appearing to dive to win the set-piece.

The clock ticked on with United showing little sign of getting back into the game. However, just inside the final 10 minutes, United managed to find an all-important equaliser. Herrera's chipped ball from the back post was bundled home by an onrushing Martial, who had otherwise been fairly quiet.

The hosts finally started to force the issue, and Michael Carrick went close with a low shot from distance. However, they couldn't find a winner before the final whistle sounded: a replay beckons.