clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

José’s Juniors: U-18s soundly beaten in Mini Manchester Derby

Defeat in the derby for the U-18’s while the reserves make it five unbeaten after a goalless draw at Everton.


Manchester United 0-0 Everton

Manchester United reserve team played to a fiercely contested 0-0 draw away at Everton on Monday night. Everton started off the livelier of the two teams on the frosty evening in Southport; striker Bassala Sambou had three good chances in the opening 10 minutes, but failed to convert.

It was a game with few clear cut chances, with some solid compact defending from both teams. Substitute Callum Gribbin came closest for United in the second half, but his curling effort was tipped over by the Everton keeper.

Everton almost won it at the end, when captain Morgan Feeney’s header hit the United woodwork. The draw is United’s second in a row and the reds remain unbeaten in five. O’Hara notched up United’s third clean sheet of the season also. The result leaves Ricky Sbragia’s side in tenth place, 17 points off leaders Liverpool. They will look to get three points in the bag when they return to Premier League 2 action on December 11th against Swansea City. Coming up next however, is a home match-up against Celtic in the Premier League International Cup. United have a 100 percent record in the competition so far.


Manchester City 4-1 Manchester United

Kieran McKenna’s side slipped to their first league defeat since the opening day of the season with a 4-1 loss at Manchester City. The mini-derby day loss means United have lost their pole position in the table, slipping to third behind Manchester City and Everton.

On a cold Saturday morning, where the remnants of an early snow dusted the ground, United started with a spark. Tahith Chong returned to the United line-up after suffering a knee injury last season, and gave the reds the lead after five minutes. However, the advantage was as brief as the snow that had fallen; City found themselves level two minutes later when Keke Simmons found the back of the net.

City took the lead in the 38th minute through Colin Rosler, but United looked for an immediate response. A minute later Chong worked his way into the box and was brought down. The captain Angel Gomes stepped up, but blasted his shot over the bar against fellow world cup winner Curtis Anderson in goal. That seemed to be the decisive moment in the match, as City went on to score moments later, and claimed all three points with another goal in the second half.

United will now have two weeks until their next Premier League U-18 game, in another fierce battle against Merseyside rivals Liverpool. Coming up for the reds is a Premier League Cup tie away at Wolves on Saturday 2nd December.