José Mourinho has provided some encouraging news for Manchester United fans today, by announcing that long-term injury absentees Luke Shaw and Ashley Young are both set to make their return from injury soon. The imminent availability of the fourth- and fifth-choice left-backs is surely a massive shot in the arm for a squad hoping to challenge for titles this season.
“The next week, on Monday, in the Under-23s game, Luke Shaw and Ashley Young are playing their first minutes of competition this season.
"It is like a pre-season match for them. But it is good news because, when they can play with the Under-23s, it is because the last week they trained with us all week so they are both coming [back].”
Both players are likely still a couple of weeks away for being ready for first team action, but it is still a welcome development to see both full-backs slightly ahead of their rehabilitation schedules. Daley Blind is currently the only fit left-sided defender available, and it is well established that Mourinho craves some more width on that side of the pitch.
Shaw, at his best, can be a source of width from the left side, but the reports on Mourinho’s stance on whether the Englishman can be trusted have been mixed to say the least. That said, according to the manager’s latest comments, it doesn’t sound like there will be any new incomings either way. When asked about United still being active in the transfer market, Mourinho seemed to indicate that his business was more or less finished.
“I don’t think we are, unless something happens to put us in the market again. I told Mr Woodward my plans were four but I also told him be cool, no pressure from me, do what you think is best for the club.
“We will be together again for another transfer window in January and next summer so no pressure from me at all. I’m happy with the squad we have. I’m ready to go without the fourth player. If we are out of market, I’m fine, I’m ready.”