The Henrikh Mkhitaryan transfer is still very much on, and -- so far, at least -- appears to be progressing surprisingly smoothly. Though we're yet to hear any word from Manchester United's end, Borussia Dortmund now effectively look resigned to losing the 27-year-old attacking midfielder, with chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke confirming that United have improved on an initial offer. Quoted in the Guardian, Watzke said:
"The situation is now different. Manchester have made a much improved offer. In situations like this there are always a lot of different things to consider and in the end at one point we have to make a decision.
"And as we are back in training on Monday we will decide at the weekend. I have contacted the relevant people and we will weigh things up at the weekend. And then the board will make the decision, definitely at the weekened."
Truth be told, Dortmund aren't in a particularly strong negotiating position. Mkhitaryan is entering the final year of his contract, and given he has reportedly asked for the transfer to happen, selling for a reported £30 million is probably the most sensible move for all parties. But once again having been raided this summer by some of Europe's giants -- Mats Hummels has joined Bayern Munich, İlkay Gündoğan Manchester City -- it's probably good politics to make it look like they're putting up a fight.